I lead organizations through digital transformation to most effectively reach and engage customers throughout the buyer journey to build brands, revenues and loyalty. Key strengths include:
Management leadership:build departments and programs from scratch, set goals and processes, optimize budgets, train teams, partner with vendors/clients, serve as liaison across teams, lead change management and present to C-suite execs.
Strategic marketing business breadth: creative problem-solver able to leverage 20+ years of agency and client-side experience assessing markets and building B2C and B2B business for Fortune 100 brands, small businesses and ecommerce start-ups. Well versed in best practices from Healthcare, Financial Services, Telecom, Retail and CPG.
Execution focus: launched over 30 products and brands, 20 social communities, 50 websites and apps, 200 integrated campaigns and 6000 multi-media communications that exceeded goals.
Digital innovation and experience depth: cost-efficiently deliver personalized, compelling content in preferred channels at the right moment to drive action. Skilled using consumer insights, user-centered design, A/B testing, CRM data, CMS and SMM platforms, geo-targeted media, and analytics to optimize the full experience of search, advertising, social media, mobile apps, easy-to-use sites, shopping carts, dynamic email and text messaging.
CURRENT INTERESTS:- Open to consulting support and contract projects.
- Looking to join professional organizations focused on content strategy, user experience design, mobile solutions and social media.
March 2015 - January 2017
DIRECTOR OF DIGITAL STRATEGY
University of Chicago Medicine, (UCM, $1.4B Academic Medical Center), Chicago, IL
Directed department, built capabilities, hired and trained staff, expanded roles, and improved brand experience. Achieved marketing’s top priority to craft plans and get C–level approval and funding for $3M capital and $2.7M expense (a 200% increase) to build a CMS, redesign/build sites and expand social. Concurrently, supported clinical businesses with 40+ updates a month on intranet and uchospitals.edu. Took on $5M brand advertising and marketing insights management during marketing executive vacancy.
- Tenaciously completed robust selection and contract process for CMS, design/build vendor and redesign plan. Worked with nearly 50 stakeholders to approve charter, goals and scope based on market review. Completed research, created RFPs and partnered with IT’s CIO, EVPs and staff to select finalists, calculate total cost and design contracts for 7 concurrent SoWs to ensure expedited delivery. Restarted process 3 times for new management, resulting in C-level approval and funding.
- Appealed to millennial moms with engaging mobile experiences Redesigned Comer Childrens’ Hospital site uchicagokidshospital.org and launched birthcenter.uchospitals.edu to support the Family Birth Center opening. Shot beautiful patient photography, created mobile-first content, a 360-degree virtual tour, class registration process and social media.
- Increased brand engagement, service-line awareness and appointment requests via social media expansion, boosted features, email, display ads, SEM/SEO, local list management and easier-to-use forms.
- Continued “Life-Changing Care” brand campaign, while launching network expansion advertising to support new Doctors and clinic openings. Incorporated hyper-local targeting with outdoor and digital media to complement TV and print. Initiated brand reputation study and oversaw consumer research including use of a patient panel for quick-turn-around feedback.
September 2014 - February 2015
Integrated Marketing Consultant
Huron Healthcare, (Healthcare Practice of Huron Management Consulting), Chicago, IL
Increased brand awareness, leads, forum registration and ROI via shift to digital campaigns, search marketing and email.
May 2012 - April 2014
Senior Manager Digital Strategy and User Experience
Motorola Solutions Inc, (MSI, Global Manufacturer of B2B Communication Networks and Devices), Schaumburg, IL
Point person expert for enterprise site builds. Drove strategies, innovation and user-centric design and best practices. Eliminated building one-off, disjointed and static sites on disparate systems by moving to a shared portal platform.
- Ensured brand consistency, cost savings and coordinated project scheduling by establishing design standards, roadmap and governance. Incorporated mobile-responsive development, cross-platform journey mapping, user testing, CRM-driven personalization, SEO-guided taxonomy and ongoing feedback channels.
- Transformed content-heavy sites into relevant, task-focused experiences.Used Salesforce data and new CMS to personalize presentation for over 50 communities and dynamically update content in 9 languages. Streamlined customer access to relevant product specs, offers and self-help training and designated sales support, enabling increased sales and satisfaction scores.
- Created a personalized training certification desktop in 12 languages generating class revenue and expanding product-line sales. Leveraged databases to incorporate progress roadmaps, course recommendations, learning credits and local events.
- Made registration and signing in easy. Streamlined 15 steps to 3 and enabled use of same ID and Password across all sites. Managed data clean up, Oracle admin interface customization, web page and smart forms creation, and global rollout.
July 2010 - May 2012
Principal, Lead Marketing Consultant
I3 Interactive Marketing, (Marketing Services Firm), Chicago IL
Created promotions, campaigns and web content for Kraft Foods, and small businesses that drove trial, membership and loyalty.
- Efficiently retained Kraft at-risk consumers via a robust CRM program Coordinated 5 agencies, 2 sponsors and 8 internal teams.
o Acquired 550K members newly diagnosed with diabetes, in 6 months (vs. 12 month goal) and drove 20K coupon redemptions monthly. Reduced acquisition costs 18% by optimizing SEM 2x a day and using CRM data.
o Tripled engagement via innovative website recipe box, mobile shopping app, nutrition tips across web, social media and ebooks and customized emails with stories and recipes versioned by interest and behavior.
- Built revenues for dance studio. Brought in new students, drove renewals and referrals via SEO/SEM, social media presence, content updates, Groupon-type offers, and promotional pricing for VIP card purchasers.
February 2001 - June 2010
Director of Digital Marketing (‘04-’10), Senior Program Manager (‘03-‘04), Website Manager (‘01-‘03)
Northern Trust ($9.5 Trillion AUM for Wealth Management, Institutional Asset Management and Servicing), Chicago, IL
Began managing northerntrust.com, and ultimately built department, growing staff from 2 to 15 experts and annual budget from $250K to $7M. Progressed brand from limited online activity to having global marketing presence with superior sites, applications, partner programs, and over 5000 annual communications.Exceeded ROI targets, gaining C-level buy-in for increased staff and funding.
- Implemented 6 enterprise-wide systems, saving $4M. Added content management, email, video streaming, contact response, survey, feedback and analytics capabilities, which reduced IT and call center staff reliance. Expanded CMS to over 400 users, 72K files and 80 design templates enabling real-time publishing, video streaming and timely legal review and QA.
- Redesigned over 150 sites and built an industry–leading unified portal platform. Migrated all public and private sites into one $80M platform, achieving brand consistency, transaction security, competitive differentiation and easy maintenance without IT.
- Delivered client-specific market crisis email communications within hours.Provided easy-to-use CMS and email tools for hundreds of relationship managers to update sites and email secure client-specific messages and reports.
- Designed mobile applications and took bank signage digital. Created corporate asset management mobile app and mobile-responsive web pages for consumer online banking. Designed interactive content for ATMs, kiosks and TVs for bank lobbies, events, and stockholder meetings.
- Initiated integrated display advertising, email and search practices that increased brand visibility, preference and leads. Drove 2.2M unique visitors to sites monthly and partner emails drove record-level webinar registration and participation.
o Increased SEM efficiency 22% over 5 years, achieving 35% response and 73% CTR
o Over 25 campaigns out-performed industry response norms (avg. CTR: 26% vs. 7% norm; avg. conversion 43% vs. 4%).
o Financial advisor subscription series, increased qualified leads over 400%
- Built the Northern Trust Open PGA tournament digital program, elevating visibility and charitable giving in spite of T.A.R.P. bailout criticism. In Y2, increased traffic 76%, page views 185% and tickets sales 4 %, with ads, SEM, Ticketmaster partnership, celebrity appearances, exciting videos, games, enewsletters, social media, on-course digital signage and mobile messaging.
March 1999 - February 2001
marchFIRST (eCommerce Consulting, formerly Whitman-Hart, Four Points Digital), Chicago, IL
Grew client billings to $6M, staffing and leading teams of 60+ consultants. Created brands and sophisticated ecommerce sites and training tools for vCapital, Easyfurnish and Aerospan, and marketing campaigns and games for Unilever and A.J Gallaher insurance.
December 1988 - February 1999
Marketing Research Manager, Account Executive, Regional Marketing Manager,
AT&T, EURO RSCG Tatham (HAVAS), and TCI (Comcast), Basking Ridge NJ and Chicago, IL
Managed new product launches and branding campaigns for: AT&T Consumer Services, Ameritech, TCI Cable TV and Internet, Huffy Bicycles, Dean Foods, Nestlé’s Lean Cuisine, P&G’s Mr. Clean, and United Industry’s Cutter products.
University Of Illinois
M.S. Advertising and Marketing Communications (James Webb Young Scholar, teaching/research assistant, branding paper author)
B.S. Business Administration/Marketing
Ongoing training: DePaul Continuing Ed (Basic Web Design, Social Media), HCIC, Content Academy, Social Media Examiner
To learn more about my work and experience, please contact me.